June 30, 2008

Homicidal thoughts

me: i have finally acknowledged having homicidal thoughts about my clients, to myself

friend: so late?

me: yeah

because the social worker professional ethics code forbids thinking that the client is bad.
i don't think the ethics code is a good guide anymore

seriously, there are people who will lie to a social worker just to get the financial support they want
(they slip up when i ask them random qns)

me:
i think i would rather pursue truth than ethics. in general.
because the truth of "how much are you taking home per month" is probably the most simple truth alive. and they don't even get it right.

me:
today i made a phone call to a client's son asking how much he and his siblings earn
he said straight to me, "if i tell you that we all don't earn much, you will give me more money, right?" and he laughed.
no doubt he thought it was funny.
it probably was. but not in a way i can appreciate, or that i choose to appreciate, or that i will ever accept.
me: and he wasn't even someone who was consistently on welfare assistance before
so it was just a simple logical deduction on his part.

how many liars are we subsidizing.

-----

More to the point, why do I try to learn so much about helping people merely to consistently come across people like this? I swear that giving out financial assistance is bad for the sincere social worker soul.

At some point a person really has to put his (or her) foot down hard and say, enough is enough. You are gaming the system. You are freeriding on the goodwill of others' hard work, others who have produced the resources that generate the money that you so gleefully, spinelessly, inhumanly take. Go forth and die. I will not care.

But of course, we are never supposed to say this to the client.

Cognitive Dissonance as the name of this blog, is more apt than I'd ever thought it would be.

No comments: